HENRI MATISSE- a French artist, a great formative figure in the 20th Century art with the use of vibrant colors and formation to convey emotional expression. Matisse started painting while he was recovering from appendicitis. He studied his art in Paris where he started painting CONSERVATIVE and had a CONVENTIONAL form of naturalism. Once he became more familiar with art he started to branch out and was known to be rebellious with his art. Influenced by Paul Gaugh, Paul Cezanne, and Vincent Van Gogh; Matisse used his colors LIBERALLY. He came to study more artists, such as, Henri Edmond Cross and Paul Signac, where he came across POINTILLIST paintings that helped expand his art. POINTILLIST artists experimented painting with dots or points to create a vibrant colorful visual. Matisse adapted his own technique by using broader strokes, but this was influenced by the pointillist technique. In 1905, he created some of the most vibrant paintings known today such as : the picture of his wife- Madame Matisse "Green Stripe" where he used a vibrant green stripe for the brow and nose bone. As said before, he was known for his bright vivid colors, but as he became older and bedridden he moved to DECOPAGUE, but kept with the bright vivid colors. Matisse respected the art critics, the younger artists, and the collection pieces. His work is a reflection of many artists. His work was influenced of Eastern art, African art, bright colors of French impressionists as well as simplified forms. I think what we can take from Matisse and his style of art is that he embraced and respected all artists that he studied, but made took their techniques and styles and made them his own. He never disrespected artists, but learned from them and grew from them. He never lost himself, just bettered himself by studying different artists. I think we all can take a lot from that not only in art, but everyday things- to not change ourselves or disrepect others for being different, but to be rebellious and take things one step further and making them in our unique way!
<3



Woah I like your artist! I like the artwork, something I'd want a copy of in my house. I learned alot about Henri from your post and I was interested in the facts you listed. Nice post! I enjoyed learning more on this artist, and looked up some more of their artwork on google. Yay!
ReplyDeleteI got an awesome view point on the way the arist went with his art. I always love to learn about what exactly it was that gets artists into their artwork. I love how he took components from other artists, and mixed it up to make his own. I would love to know what actually goes on in his head when he does his artwork. The painting of his wife has the best emotion. I can feel her emotion coming out of the painting. And as if that isn't enough, the bright colors keep me even more intrigued!
ReplyDelete